Keeping School Spirit Up and Covid Cases Down

Photo submitted by Sera Beth Potter

This school year at AHS has certainly looked a lot different than school years’ past. Between social distancing, masks, no eating in the cafeteria, the lack of pep rallies, guest speakers, and parades, it’s easy to see how school spirit could fall to an all-time low. Gone are the decorations that once adorned the halls and lockers on game days.

When asked how the global pandemic had affected her school year and school spirit, Senior Claire Randolph had this to say:

“COVID-19 has impacted my senior year in a negative way. I knew this year wasn’t going to go as planned, but I didn’t think that I would be missing out on my last few football games as a senior cheerleader due to being quarantined.”

Many seniors felt and are still feeling the effects of the wide-spread coronavirus and preventative measures schools have taken to prevent contamination. Like Senior Luke Harris, Claire was quarantined and unable to attend the last home football game of her senior year.

Another senior commented, “I think it’s worst on the seniors because this is it for us. This year is the last we have to make memories and enjoy high school. We can’t get this time or these experiences back.”

Unfortunately this pandemic caused me to miss my last home football game, which was so special for me to be at as a Senior. It would have been my last time ever cheering at Kin Logan [Stadium] and I missed out on that and the memories of that night. ”

— Senior, Claire Randolph

Claire went on to say that, “Unfortunately this pandemic caused me to miss my last home football game which was so special for me to be at as a senior. It would have been my last time ever cheering at Kin Logan [Stadium] and I missed out on that and the memories of that night. COVID is an awful thing that is affecting seniors all over the nation. I wish it could have been different for us seniors, but I have learned how important it is to appreciate the time while we have it and make memories while we can. I will always be so thankful for all of the memories, laughter, and friendships that cheer at AHS has brought me. Go dawgs!”

The Ashville High staff and faculty are making every effort they can to give these students the best high school experience they possibly can. As heartbreaking as it is to see students miss out on making memories during their final years here, everyone is in agreement that their safety and well-being has to come first. As Junior Sera Beth Potter pointed out, “We’re hopeful that warmer weather will bring the opportunity to have events like assemblies, parades, and pep rallies outdoors. That’s the best thing we can all be right now. Hopeful.”